Suits – Do the clothes make the man or are they just a disguise?

Friday 24 June 2011


On the surface, 'Suits' appears to be just another legal drama, but it is a show that just happens to take place with a law firm as the backdrop. The show is about the characters and how they work through their issues and relationships.

blog1.jpg (705×479)
Right away it is clear that Suits is not your normal USA Network show. I can’t think of another show on the network that started right out of the gate with dialogue like, “It’s last-minute bad faith bullshit.”, “I don’t give a shit.” or “But the truth is your balls are in my fist. … Now get your ass in there and close the goddamn deal.”
Since the show is on basic cable, it can’t go all crazy and show gratuitous nudity like on HBO or Starz’s original programming, but they can liven up the dialogue. In this case, it wasn’t even over the top language. Given the characters and situation, I could see a real life conversation happening just as it played out on the screen. The willingness of the writers to go there is just one of the ways this show shines.
When the show was originally pitched it was based on Wall Street rather than in a law firm. I’m not sure of the reasons it was changed, but I prefer the law firm setting. If a Mike Ross character was working in almost any field other than law, the ramifications and risk that the characters are taking wouldn’t be nearly as high. Mike Ross is lying about being a credentialed lawyer and Harvey Specter perpetuates and supports that lie. That’s a big deal.
At first, this premise annoyed me a bit. I thought, “Oh great, they are lying and eventually the truth is going to come out and they are all going to go down.” But, after watching the episode again, I enjoyed the characters and their interactions so much that I didn’t care about this secret hanging over them. I think I was sold when I saw the scene in the law firm lobby after Mike left his badge in his cubicle. Harvey could have easily let Mike go and freed them both from the lie. But, Harvey didn’t do that, instead he went after Mike. Their partnership is bigger than the lie. At least for now.
Harvey needs to be challenged as it seems only someone with Mike’s talents can do, but he also enjoys living on the edge. How far can Harvey push the limits before he does something that will cause his world to come crashing down? We saw this when he was playing poker, when he lied about the wire transfer to the client, and when he lied to Jessica about working the pro bono case. Will his lie about Mike bring him down or will it be something else? Or, will he change his ways as Jessica wants him to do.
Mike’s issues are just as complicated. He has scammed his way through life using his talents in questionable ways. Now, he is in a situation in which he can use his brain for good, but it is based on a lie. Is he living the same life just in a better suit and with money in the bank? I’m looking forward to watching Mike’s relationships grow with Harvey and the paralegal, Rachel.
Both Harvey and Trevor wear expensive suits – are they that different? Is Mike really better off with Harvey instead of Trevor or are both equally negative influences? I can’t wait to find out!
Other thoughts:
  • I can’t decide whether to feel bad for Louis Litt or to hate him. That contradiction makes me intrigued to find out more about him and how his relationships will grow with the other characters.
  • Harvey seems to have two important work wives in both Jessica and perhaps even more with Donna. How do they put up with him? He is charming, isn’t he?
  • I’m not sure what to make of the relationship between Mike and Jenny (is she Trevor’s girlfriend?). Looks like there could be some unrequited feelings there. But, I’m also interested to see what happens between Mike and Rachel.
  • It is unfortunate that the way Mike is improving his life and becoming a better man is actually all one big lie. I can’t imagine that is what his grandmother would want for him. I hope she never finds out the truth; it would break her heart.
  • My favorite part of the show is the bantering between characters, especially Harvey (Gabriel Macht) and Mike (Patrick J Adams). But, also with Jessica (Gina Torres) and Louis (Rick Hoffman). I hope this witty dialogue continues throughout the rest of the season.

0 comments:

Post a Comment